Oxford & Cambridge Summer Academy (OCSA) offers high school students between the ages of 14 to 19 an exclusive opportunity to catch a glimpse of studying at prestigious universities in the United Kingdom. Participants spend part of their summer in an academically renowned city, studying a subject of their choice, and attending workshops focusing on the university preparation and application process.Whilst studying in Cambridge or Oxford, student’s accommodation will be in colleges of the University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge, including lectures and workshops, social activities, as well as the dining hall situated in the same college. Colleges are a walking distance from the city centres of both cities, which offers the opportunity to explore and learn about the rich history of these locations.
OCSA participants come from high schools throughout the world. In the past delegates from more than 60 different nationalities have participated in the programmes offered, making our summer academy truly international and diverse. Participants attending OCSA are extremely motivated, and many have plans of applying to very prestigious universities such as the University of Oxford, the University of Cambridge, Ivy League Universities in the US, or other outstanding universities in other countries in the near future. You’ll find that OCSA courses offer stimulating lectures that help students take one step further in this direction, whilst learning more about a subject they may want to study at university.
Aside from the academic aspects, there are a multitude of extra-curricular activities such as excursions to iconic landmarks to learn more about British history. Our dedicated staff organise a number of social and sport events for delegates to participate in outside of teaching hours.
We are extremely proud to announce that the British Accreditation Council accredits all of our programmes in Oxford and Cambridge; this ensures our faculty have undergone thorough training and our courses are of a consistently high quality.
All courses offered in Oxford and Cambridge focus on academic teaching, as students select an elective of their choice for each two-week session. Subjects are wide ranging, and we offer different academic electives in both locations. The total number of academic teaching is 24 hours for the duration of the programme, which we tend to split up equally between each week.
Additionally, we carefully select faculty members for each subject to ensure that students experience the highest quality of teaching, and are able to gain the most from their subjects.
It’s important to note that we are committed to ensuring all academic electives go ahead, but unfortunately if the number of participants is too low for a particular elective students second choice will be offered instead.
At the heart of the OCSA programme are a series of courses focused on broadening your social network, leadership, and conquering the university application process. High School students will spend time developing teamwork and leadership skills as well as gathering essential information on the various aspects of applying to UK universities. There is a total of 12 hours of interactive workshops offered for the duration of the programme. Below you will find a number of workshops we have offered in the past:
- University Selection – The application systems of the University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge (UK) will be explained in detail. Participants will be prepared for understanding the procedures and what preparations to make before applying.
- Personal Statement – For a successful application at such prestigious universities, it is essential to submit an exceptional personal statement. Delegates of OCSA will be introduced to and guided in the composition and structure of their own personal statements that can be submitted with their university application.
- Interview Techniques and Mock Interview – Personal interviews are part of every university application process worldwide and require thorough preparation. Delegates will receive coaching on applications and interviews and take part in mock interviews to simulate real life interview situations. As part of the programme mock interviews will be conducted with all delegates to simulate real life interview situations.
- Debating & Leadership Skills – Our debating workshops have a strong emphasis on critical thinking, leaderships skills teamwork, effective communication, as well as individual research. Various elective courses will be offered so that high school students are introduced to various university subjects. This will give all delegates a much better understanding of how to choose the best and most suitable topics and courses when attending college or university.
- Intercultural Awareness, Public Speaking, Essay Writing/Referencing, and more.